Monday, December 11, 2006

Review: Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 IS USM L

Yes!!! Finally, I bought this lens as my own birthday gift for this year.

I went to the Samy's Camera store in west Los Angeles the past weekend with friends. Originally, I just want to buy a new camera bag for hiking. Currently, I have 4 lenses but I mainly use the Canon EF 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM and the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) lens.

I was online shopping for the Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5 IS USM L for awhile but most of the reviews claim the lens is very heavy and the push/pull style zooming is not very good. I made a big mistake and I asked for the sales to get me the lenses (both 28-300mm and 70-200mm) to try. Once I tried the 70-200mm, I love it; however, once I tried the 28-300mm, I HATE it!!!


The 70-200mm lens originally is selling for about US$2500. I have searched around online about a week ago and the best price is US$2199. Samy's Camera was selling it for US$2000 w/o sales tax!!!!! Plus, the Canon has US$50 rebate and I was using my credit card (that has the other 5% rebate). As a result, I bought this lens for just about US$1850!!! Great deal!!!

This lens is still very heavy (70-200mm f/4 No IS is a lot lighter and cheaper). However, the focus is very fast and the image is crystal sharp. I love this lens. The other problem I have now is I need a new camera body to take advantage of the lens. Where is the Canon EOS 40D or 6D!?!?!?!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where is "Download Los Angeles"?

:-)

Post some pictures with this new lens please :-)

--goldventure

Icey Cake (冰餅) said...

Goldventure: Thanks for letting me know the typo I did. You can come to my flickr and I have a lot of photos were taken by this baby.